Friday, May 8, 2009

the longest time

So I think this song has made it onto my top-10-greatest-songs-of-all-time list. Watching the video makes it even better.



What's even more amazing is that Joel is the one singing every vocal part even though it shows the rest of those guys doing the backup. He recorded 14 different background tracks which were mixed into the song so it's all him, with a little bass guitar and maybe a closed hi-hat hit with a brush. Awesome possum.


Now I don't remember much of the 80's but this video seems to epitomize that decade in my mind. Another classic: 'Maneater' by Hall and Oates.

3 comments:

davidwood said...

You won't believe it but Billy Joel was one of my favorite singers back in the day.

grammawood said...

I love that song by Billy Joel--the music anyway. It's amazing that he sings all of those parts himself!
The Maneater song reminds me of the Natchitoches Skating Rink.

Becky Shuler said...

I'm so glad the mullet is no longer popular! Joseph and I enjoyed watching your videos tonight. :)