Wednesday, June 24, 2009

transformers: revenge of the sleep deprivation

Last night I went to the midnight showing of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. By now y'all should all know my feelings about midnight showings, so I won't go into that again. Originally a big group of church friends said they would go, but when push came to shove it came down to just Scott and me. Everyone else had all these lame excuses, like, "I have to work tomorrow" or "I have class at 7:30". Come on, people! Going to a midnight showing requires sacrifice! And boy, did I sacrifice. Monday night I was at work until 12:30 am, then I had to get up at 5:30 am to babysit at 6:30. I was there until 12:30 pm, then I came home and took a two-hour nap. I headed to Institute at 7:30, got home at 9, watched a bit of LSU's ball game and then got to the theater by 10:30. So it was just Scott and me, and I was hoping it wouldn't be awkward or date-like (we've been on a few 'dates' before but I consider him to be just a friend). Fortunately Loren and Jon decided to join us so everything was hunky dory.

So the movie gave me exactly what I wanted - lots of Shia LaBeouf, Bumblebee, and sweet special effects - so I enjoyed it for the most part. I didn't expect anything else, like a good script or above par acting, so I wasn't disappointed about that, but there is a reason this movie is rated PG-13. I think they went a little too far with some of the sexual innuendos, so there is no way I would let a kid under 15 at the youngest see this movie. In the words of Matthew Shuler (who desperately wants to see it), some of that stuff was just plain "em-appropriate" for the younger crowd (and I guess for everyone else, too). So Joseph, don't even think of sneaking him into the theater. I guess you could say it was pretty violent, too, but fighting robots don't really make my stomach churn. "Oh no! That Autobot got stabbed! The gore of torn metal! I think I'm gonna be sick!". Ok, I'll stop.
So I got home at 3 and went to bed immediately. Two hours and forty-five minutes later, I got up and put some Toaster Strudels in the toaster as I got ready to leave. One was strawberry and the other was the Scrambler kind, with bacon and eggs and cheese, and even though I specifically checked to see which was which, I started putting the frosting on the Scrambler one. After I realized what I'd done I tried to transfer frosting with a bit of success. Frosted pastries with bacon, eggs, and cheese - yum! I got to the V's at 6:30 and babysat until 11:30. Of course the kids were extra-wild today, and my patience was running thin on less than 3 hours of sleep, but I kept my cool. Then since I was on that side of town I went to Target to get Erica's bridal shower present, and ended up wandering aimlessly around the store for a good 45 minutes. I finally got home and laid down for a nap at about 1:30, thinking I'd sleep for about 3 hours before heading into work at 4:45. I woke up with a start and looked at my clock - 5:11. Oh crap! I rushed out the door and called my supervisor on my way to work to tell her I'd slept late. It really wasn't a big deal because I really don't have to be to work until 6 but since they say I can come at 5, I try to get there by then so I can make more money. So I'm still at work and it's about midnight, but fortunately my schedule is free tomorrow so I can sleep to my heart's content. What a crazy couple of days! But you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be at theater at midnight on July 15th, waiting for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to start!

5 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

Thanks for the movie review. Joseph is dying to see it. And of course we will not let Matthew see it until he is 15! I am also excited about Harry Potter finally coming out! I'm sure it will be awesome! Did you watch any of the LSU game last night? Or did you keep up with the score on-line? It was so exciting! Especially the first inning. LSU came out and got 4 points in the first few minutes! YAY LSU! Geaux Tigers!

Becky Shuler said...

I actually decided to leave you a comment so you could have the over-exposed Becky picture come up twice on the same post comment section.

I hope to be able to see the movie soon but I don't know how soon "soon" will come.

Thanks for the nice comments on my smile and teef. If I could only lighten them a little.

Hope to see ya soon.
Joseph

larshannon said...

I'm tired just reading about your so busy life!

Erin said...

that sounds like a yummy breakfast! Wish we could go to harry potter with you!

Heather Jacques Wood said...

I wish we could have seen the midnight showing of Harry Potter! We didn't think we could find a babysitter for 11:30pm-3am :). We had to settle for a showing at 7:30pm. Ben will be envious--he really liked the first Transformer movie. Too bad the writers spoiled it with too much innuendo.