Friday, July 30, 2010

the old missouri homestead

During the reunion we took a trip to where my Grampa Wood grew up in Missouri. I don't know what I had expected, but I didn't expect it to be so beautiful and hilly there! Here's the pond at the Pepperwood Farm (click on pictures to enlarge).A pretty field on the property.
Path to the graveyard.
Kinda reminded me of the Sacred Grove.
Sunshot.
What's that peeking through the weeds?
An awesome old tractor!
I love when the sun's rays blast through the clouds like this.
In the house.

Cute old picket fence.
Hey what's Gilligan doing off the island?!
I had no idea that Missouri was so hilly! I loved it but a few times it made my stomach jump up into my mouth while we were driving.
Where Grampa was born.
My camera just could not capture the depth of this scene. It was breathtaking in real life.

In the car with the Goose.
A cool old bridge.
Great-Uncle Glenn's backyard - I have fond memories of playing here as a kid.
Laying under the apple tree.

Other parts of the yard.

Is this a tiger lily? I think it should be called a leopard/cheetah/ocelot lily instead.
Jofuf taking a picture or two.
Three three-year-olds means triple the trouble! Jakey, Bubbles and Lizzy playing with the windchimes.
Benji chasing after the Goose.
MIMI!!
We became real pals on this trip.
One thing I love about country living - no need to run inside when ya gotta go!

8 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

Awesome pictures! Love the shots you got. And that one of Mimi on the grass is gorgeous - one of my favorites! I hope Jonathan isn't embarrassed...

davidwood said...

Great shots of our trip to the Wood homesteads! I was so glad that the kiddies enjoyed Martha's back yard.

Erin said...

I love the one of Mimi in the grass too! And Ben with Lucy--cool lighting. I am glad you documented the unique interior of the homestead.

grammawood said...

Love your pictures of the reunion! It's so fun to see each person's perspective. I'm glad to see such variety. And I'm glad someone got one of the rolling hills. When Dad and I first visited there (in 1973) in our little VW we felt like we were on a roller coaster ride.

Mary Lampros said...

Those are some mighty purty shots! Has Joseph seen the one of Jonathan? Ha! I guess that was better than having to put the toilet paper in the trash, he he. Had you not been to the Wood homestead places, or were you just too young to remember? I didn't realize that was a first for you--that's cool. And you are so right that not a single one of our shots of that hill by the Juliette house could even come close to showing what it looked like in person.

Ben said...

Fabulous and lots of fun, thanks for posting these photos.

Becky Shuler said...

"Kissing don't last, good cooking do!" I LOVE IT! This was Joseph's favorite picture! HA HA!

Nathan said...

If that "good cooking do" plate has got it right, you may not want to be posting your "burnt shrimps" on a public blog... Not a good sign!