Thursday, December 18, 2008

winter wonderland

Here's an email I sent to the fam a week ago (Thursday, December 11th):

I had a final at 7:30 this morning and I didn't go to bed until 2:30 am. I was past the denial, anger, and sorrow stages and had finally made it into the acceptance stage, knowing that there was probably no way I could do well enough on this test to get an A in my history class. I planned to get up at 5:30 and do some 'hail Mary' studying but I knew it wouldn't do much good. I was paranoid about sleeping late so I set my alarm clock, my tv, and my phone to go off. Fortunately I was able to get up and slowly and begrudgingly get ready for the day. I sat down at the table with my bowl of Froot Loops and was just about to start looking over my notes when I heard sirens. Why so many sirens at 6 in the morning? I had an idea, and ran to the sliding doors to see if I could possibly be right. I threw back the blinds and to my shock and sheer joy, my wildest thought was confirmed - it was SNOWING!!!! I mean really snowing, like all the cars were covered and there were a few inches on the ground and it was coming down steadily, just like in the movies. I really could not believe it. Now I know all you westerners are just shaking your heads, smiling a little inside at my naivities and dramatics, but seriously, it has not snowed in Louisiana and actually stuck to the ground since I was 12. And before that, not since before I was born. So this is kind of a big deal. Anyways I was so energized and excited but then I realized, "Crap, I have to drive to school in this weather. I've never driven in snow." So I quickly called Mom and Dad and awoke them from their slumber. They gave me a few pointers and I was ready to take on the day. I wrote a note for Loren and Erica, telling them to look outside, but I just couldn't leave it at that. I heard Loren's alarm go off so I started banging on her door and telling her to come out as quickly as possible so she ran out in her mumu and robe with a 'where's the fire?' look. "It's SNOWING!!!" and we ran to the door. I ran back to Erica's room and said, "Erica, get up! It's snowing!" She was up in a flash and we ran to the door to join Loren. I was running around and hollering like a little kid and Erica and Loren both called their moms. We saw a lady getting her two kids in their van and the kids just started pelting their mom with snowballs. It was so funny and cute. Erica and I went outside to take pictures and I got her right in the face with a huge snowball. I can't stop laughing, thinking about it now. I made another snowball and raced up the stairs and into the apartment and put it in the freezer. Loren was just laughing, we were all so happy. I wanted to stay and play, but I left by 6:15 to give myself plenty of time to get to campus safely and maybe study just a little bit more. I made it through my test and maybe, just maybe, I did well enough to squeak by with an A. Much to my surprise the snow was still there when I walked out of Lockett at 9:30. I thought the sun would come up and melt it all away, but it was cloudy and raining, a mixed blessing I suppose. Everything is so white and beautiful, it's like a completely different world outside. So now I'm home, I've taken a hot shower, and I'm about to make some oatmeal, study for my last two tests, and then take a nap.....or maybe I should nap first....

Here are some pictures I took throughout the day:
Erica and Loren peeking out the window

My snow apparel - a water-resistant jacket and a cap. Good thing it doesn't snow too often here!
Erica singing in the snow
A snow-covered Mike


See the palm trees?

So white and bright on the drive home
Pretty crape myrtle trees outside our apartment

The little snowman Erica and Loren built after I left for my test


Poor little snowman a few hours later - check out those curves!
Foggy moon

3 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

AWESOME... we are SO JEALOUS!!! Those are great pictures - Matthew and I really love the snow covered Mike. Pretty amazing that Baton Rouge got snow and Mom and Dad didn't in Natchitoches! Bizare! So happy you got to enjoy it for a day! Next time, send some to us!!

grammawood said...

We are so jealous of your snow. But you deserved it; I'm glad it cheered you up during finals.

Mary Lampros said...

I love the picture of you in the red jacket with the smile on your face--it captures your childlike joy to see snow.