Thursday, August 26, 2010

DO try this at home, fellas

So the past couple of days I have been reading a book called The Nazi Officer's Wife, the true story of an Austrian Jewish woman who forged some papers and assimilated into German culture to survive the Holocaust. It was an okay book, not really inspirational but intriguing nonetheless. Anyways this lady was courted by and eventually married a member of the Nazi party, who wasn't all bad. She recalled this occurrence from the beginning of their courtship:

"Is that why you got a job that keeps you out of the war?" I asked. "Because you joined the party?"
"Ah, no, no - it's because I am blind in one eye. I had a motorbike accident and cracked my skull and severed the optic nerve. Look closely, you'll see." He leaned across the table to show me his blind eye. I leaned across the table to look. He leaned closer. I looked harder. He kissed me.
It was a shock, how much I enjoyed that experience. I was surprised at myself, and I must have blushed. Werner laughed at my embarrassment. "My, you're a sweet girl," he said.


Okay so I'm going to forget for just a moment the fact that he was a Nazi and just think of him as a guy on a date and say that that is the cutest thing ever! He really was blind in one eye but I'm just going to put this out there: future husband, wherever you are, feel free to try this trick with some suave for the first kiss instead of awkwardly going in for the kill. I'm just saying.

5 comments:

Azie Kay Spikes said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Sarah Belle you totally rock. I miss you!

Becky Shuler said...

What a sneaky way to get a kiss! Funny post, sista!

grammawood said...

Ask Dad about teaching a girl how to properly pronounce French words. It worked for me, and I ended up getting an "A" in my French Conversation class.

Heather Jacques Wood said...

That's a pretty sly way to get a kiss! He definitely gets points for style :).

Mary Lampros said...

I'd have poked him in the other eye afterwards...just kidding! Pret-ty smooth.