Tuesday, August 3, 2010

real men tap dance

So I've never been a big fan of the whole art of 'dancing'. I preferred cleats to ballet slippers as well as hand-me-down Ninja Turtle shirts over leotards every day of the week. As I grew older, the word 'dance' conveyed images of my high school's skanky dance line or gatherings of Mormon adolescents awkwardly doing the deacon two-step. And then there are the movies today that revolve around dancing and scandalamity, crap like Step Up 3D (which I have not seen, but I sure am tired of the ads for it online. This was the least offensive poster I could find) and Center Stage (I did like this movie when I first saw it but the dancing...not so much). So you can see why I've never been a fan of this expressive art form. But somebody has helped me to see the light, and his name is President Val Dean Riggs. He is my stake president/Institute teacher/adoptive uncle and we are real tight. So tight that we give each other movie recommendations, and let each other borrow our favorites from the silver screen. A few months ago I let him borrow one that is close to my heart, Iron Man, and he and Sister Riggs loved it. So when he found out that I had never seen Singin' in the Rain, he lent me his copy immediately. I must admit that it sat on my bookshelf for two and a half months, and I kind of forgot about it until a few weeks ago at Institute he told me that he had had a hunkering to watch it but realized that he had loaned it out to me. I promised to watch it within the next week and then return it to him, but I didn't really have the time so I figured I'd just give it back without watching it. Fortuitously I had a free afternoon last week and it just so happened to be pouring down buckets outside. I considered snuggling up with a book but decided I might as well watch the movie then and there and get it over with, as if it were some homework assignment I'd been given. Well let me tell you I was mesmerized from the beginning! I really hadn't known what to expect, except for maybe some singing...in the rain, but surprisingly there's only one scene where someone actually sings in the rain. And that someone is the one and only Gene Kelly. Such a classy fella; he's my new favorite movie star (actually he's probably tied with Paul Newman). And the way he dances is just wonderful. He's so athletic in his movements yet just plain goofy and I love it! The way he expresses that carefree giddiness of the beginnings of love just makes me smile.



There were so many other songs in this movie that I loved as well, especially the peppy ones. Donald O'Connor, the supporting actor, is also an excellent dancer and entertainer and I loved his performances, too - ESPECIALLY when he and Mr. Kelly did a little number together that I have watched multiple times every day since I've seen the movie. Youtube won't let me embed it so here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlub5vB9z8
So anyways the long and the short of it is that this movie has made me appreciate dance more and start to actually kind of enjoy watching it, as long as it's stuff like this. I've come to realize that dance is like any other form of art, and just because some paintings or songs are trashy doesn't mean they all are. Man they just don't make 'em like they used to. Please let me know if you have any recommendations for any other great dancing movies!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Have you seen Strictly Ballroom? I think you would really like it. Very funny. I need to watch Singing in the Rain. I love that you shared such DIFFERENT movies with eachother and both liked them.

Becky Shuler said...

I love Strictly Ballroom! It IS hilarious! I remember watching it in the mid 90's. And watching a good movie with dancing makes you, well you know, want to get up and DANCE!

Mary Lampros said...

Girl, that was so well-written that I couldn't keep my eyes even on "The Ritz" because your words were even more compelling! Fun to watch this classic again. Have you watched Funny Girl? It's more singing than dancing, but it is enjoyable if you like Barbra. I think there are lots of good ole dancing movies out there, just look up your man Gene, and also Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Heather Jacques Wood said...

I LOVE Singing in the Rain! If you like Gene Kelly, you might also like An American in Paris. Kelly choreographed it and the dancing is pretty spectacular. I'm also a fan of the show "So You Think You Can Dance" (on Fox). Sometimes the costumes are skanky, but the dances are usually fantastic and the show presents a lot of different types of dance (e.g., hip hop, contemporary, jazz, disco, crumping, ballroom, Bollywood, Broadway, ballet, tribal).

Heather Jacques Wood said...

Oh, and, now that I think of it, Funny Face has some GREAT dance scenes with Fred Astaire.

Sarah said...

Coincidentally I just watched An American in Paris today! It was pretty good but I think I like Singing in the Rain better. I loved the "I've Got Rhythm" rendition with all of the little French kids, though. I'll put these other recommendations on my Netflix queue, thanks sisters!

grammawood said...

This was fun to watch. I wish we would get some rain here so we could be "Singin' in the Rain".