Sunday, January 11, 2009

home for the holidays

I went home for the holidays on Tuesday, December 23rd. It was weird to go home so close to Christmas, with all of the decorations already up. I did, however, place the proper angel atop the tree when I got home (I made that in 3rd grade). We had lots of fun as a family visiting friends and the elderly, playing Mormon Bridge and Scrabble, making and eating lots of good food,(my superior sugar cookies)(Momma doing what she does best)(Dad's got some work to do) watching movies, putting my Santa costume to good use, and reading the scriptures in a variety of languages. On Christmas Eve when we read the nativity story Tim read his verse in Spanish, Mom and I read in French, and Dad read his in Latin. When we were about halfway through I suggested that Dad read his verse like a Catholic monk or priest, like the Gregorian chant or something. It was very funny and a little distracting but I think Dad really missed out on his true calling in life - to spend his days in a monastery chanting scriptures! Anyways it was a good week and we had a fun time together.

7 comments:

davidwood said...

We did have a lot of fun with you and Tim. Thanks for posting these photos, with the exception of the one with me in the Santa hat.

grammawood said...

Sarah,
How did you get only the ham to be in color? Awesome! It was great to see these photos as they bring back warm fuzzy memories. Look how you are leaning on me while we read the scriptures!
I must say that it is a good thing Dad didn't become a cantor in a monastery or you might have been born to another family and then who would be the angel on top of my tree?

Erin said...

Your Christmas eve service sounds awesome!

Becky Shuler said...

LOVE THE PICTURES!!! Thanks for sharing since we didn't make it home this year. And how DID you do the special effects with the b&w and color? Cool! I wish we could have heard the verses read in different languages! We are so glad y'all came to see us after Christmas! I'm working on getting those pictures up on the blog!!

Mary Lampros said...

I have so many comments to make on this entry, I don't know if I'll remember them all. First and foremost, how in the heck did you take a black and white picture and color just the HAM? Secondly, I busted out laughing when I saw your kindygarten angel atop the trip. Third, that Santa Clause outfit is generating some scary photos :). Fourth, I forgot how retro 70s the font on Dad's stocking is. Fifth, I'd better get my butt in bed.

Mary Lampros said...

Okay, I'm going to have to give you a hard time if your virtual Christmas tree is still up by Valentine's Day. Time for a new entry, sis! (unless you're busy doing kind things like sending care packages to sick nieces and nephews...)

larshannon said...

Oh, to have heard Uncle David chanting scriptures like a Gregorian Monk. Not sure how you could be serious about that...