Wednesday, July 23, 2008

the dark knight....more like the dark knightmare

I know I have a lot of posts about movies, but they're kinda my thing if you didn't notice, so get over it. Last night I saw "The Dark Knight" with Adam and Erica. It was a very good movie, with good acting, a good storyline, and great special effects, but I didn't really like it because it was just downright creepy. Just seeing The Joker, let alone hearing him talk and laugh, gave me the jitters, and that's not just because he was played by the late Heath Ledger. Ledger did an excellent job but holy cow he was freaky! I don't know what it is with these new Batman movies, but they are just way too dark for my tastes. I saw "Batman Begins" for the first time two years ago at Sharleen's up in West Virginia. It was like 1 in the morning and I was watching it by myself down in her basement. When that Scarecrow guy popped up in all of his freakiness I about wet myself. I was so scared I made poor Sarah the Dog sleep with me that night. Fortunately this new one didn't scare me that much but it was way creepier. There isn't much physical violence, it's more psychological and emotional. I think I would have liked it more if I had seen it opening night. For some reason, I rarely like movies as much when I see them after I've heard "It's the best movie ever!" so many times. This happened with "Juno", which I didn't see until it came out on DVD, after I heard every one in the whole world sing its praises (except Mom and Dad, of course). I thought that movie was just plain dumb, but whatever. So anyways, if you plan on seeing "The Dark Knight" be prepared for a freakfest. And don't even think of letting anyone under the age of 13 see this movie. It's rated PG-13 for a reason and I personally believe it was borderline R. Some idiots brought their toddler last night and I was about ready to jackslap them! If you can't afford a babysitter than you can't afford to go to the movies, that's how I see it. People these days!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't even say "borderline" - it was definitely an R. I saw it opening night with a friend and had similarly mixed feelings about it.