Sunday, September 7, 2008

dehydrated in death valley

Going back to school at LSU also means going back to Death Valley for football games! It's been about eight months since I'd seen our Tigers play, when they beat the poop out of the Ohio State Buckeyes for the National Championship game at the SuperDome in New Orleans (yes, I was at the game, and yes, it was amazing!). So of course I was excited to see my boys play the no-name Appalachian St. for the season opener (I know now that they have been Division I FCS (I-AA) champs for the past three years, but come on, that's just double the letters with half of the talent!). I wasn't too excited, however, when they decided to move the kickoff time to 10 am because of stinkin Hurricane Gustav, especially because I didn't get off of work until 2 am Saturday morning and we had to get to the stadium by 8 am to get our seats. Even though it was hot as Hades it felt great to be back in Tiger Stadium! The best part about being at a Tigers' football game is all of the songs and traditions. My favorite is probably when they bring in Mike and pull him around the stadium in a cage and then park him right in front of where the opposing team runs in. They weren't able to do this last year because we had just got Mike VI and they had to make sure he was a keeper and get him used to everything and all that jazz. So it was cool to see him at his first game. This game was also particularly special because they were able to add a third national championship flag (1958, 2003, and now 2007) at the north end of the stadium. They had some difficulties untangling the 2007 so they were a little behind schedule. While we were waiting, there was this huge loud rushing sound that scared me so bad my heart jumped up into my throat! I thought we were being attacked by terrorists! Fortunately I looked up in time to see two fighter jets zooming past. Apparently they were supposed to fly over after the 2007 flag had been raised but since it was all tangled and took longer than expected they missed their mark. Oh well, they were successful in scaring the crap out of everyone! So the game finally started and it was cool to see Andrew Hatch as our starting quarterback. He is Mormon and is a member of our singles' ward. Our offensive coordinator and new quarterback coach are members as well. If only we could convert Les Miles! Anyways he did a pretty good job from what I saw but he is no Matt Mauck or Matt Flynn (our previous quarterbacks who have led us to national championships) and he has a lot to learn. Well by the end of the first quarter it was getting HOT. I had bought a bottle of water and some frozen lemonade, but they didn't really help in cooling me down. Usually everyone stands up during the game, but I was really tired a) from so little sleep and b) from the heat that I had to sit down. Some guys asked me if I was okay and I said I was fine and I just needed to sit down for a little bit. One of them left and I didn't think anything of it. A few minutes later he came back with an EMT and they made me go to the first aid station, even though I didn't want to go and I kept telling them I was fine. So they take me into this little room full of EMTs and sick people. At least they had a fan going. They gave me some water and I just sat and watched the game on the little TV they had. To my right, a girl was shaking and vomiting into a trash can and to my left another girl was so pale and weak she could not hold herself up. Then across from me was a girl who kept falling asleep and falling over, but I'm pretty sure she was suffering from a bout of drunkenness, not heatstroke. So surrounded by all of this nastiness I knew I wasn't that bad off, but they wouldn't let me leave for like twenty minutes. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, because it was very nice to get free water and sit by a fan, but just being in there made me feel even worse because it was so dag-um gross! Needless to say, Adam and Erica and I decided to leave after the third quarter ended, because there was NO way we were going to lose this one. The final score was 41-13 - whoopty do da. So unfortunately it wasn't really the best experience but I still love me some LSU Tigers football! Below is a picture of the Tiger Girls: Jamie, me, Erica, and Lisa and then the other one is Adam....the heat was really getting to everyone. And the videos are not very exciting and kind of loud, but little Matthew might enjoy them.

1 comment:

Becky Shuler said...

Love me some LSU Tigers Football action! Watching those videos made me feel like I was there! Thanks for sharing! Matthew loved the Mike the Tiger picture. We can't wait to see him when we come visit. Glad you are okay and be sure to drink plenty of water BEFORE the game next time. :)