Monday, September 8, 2008

the great gustav adventure begins....

When I first learned about Hurricane Gustav and that it was headed my way, I must admit I was kind of excited (no, I'm not crazy, just hear me out!). My Labor Day weekend could be extended, we could have a hurricane party, our awesome governor Bobby Jindal would have the chance to redeem our state after the total mess that happened with Katrina three years ago (I can't believe it's been that long!), and I could have bragging rights if I survived. The only thing I wasn't excited about was the fact that the game was moved up to 10 am. Anyways, I decided to stay in Baton Rouge and prove my courage and hardiness as a 'true Louisianian' instead of making the normally 3 but now 8 hour drive home to Natchitoches. I don't know why I felt like I had something to prove, but I just did. Now that it's been a week since Gus initially hit, my views have changed a little bit, but I honestly don't regret the experience one bit. My 'extended Labor Day weekend' turned into a hot and sweaty week-long test of faith, friendship, patience, and ingenuity. Stay tuned for a detailed account, pictures, and videos of my past week.........

Here is cool picture I found of our planet this past week. Tropical Storm Josephine is near the African coast, Hurricane Ike is in the mid-Atlantic, Tropical Storm Hanna is approaching the eastern coast of North America and the remains of Hurricane Gustav are scattering over Arkansas. Stay away IKE!

2 comments:

grammawood said...

Obviously, it depends on your perspective, but the world is absolutely beautiful, even with those destructive hurricanes milling around.

Becky Shuler said...

Cool picture. I am glad you were safe, "riding out the storm" but we sure were worried about you. I'm anxious to see more pictures but we'll see everything in person next week when we come through Baton Rouge.