Thursday, September 11, 2008

where were you when the world stopped turning?

So today is September 11th. I'm sure everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard what happened. I was in my eighth-grade English class and Dr. Moore asked our teacher, Mrs. Smith, to go out into the hall with him. When she came back into our classroom, she was bawling and we could barely understand what she was saying. She told us that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center, and we all just kind of looked at her like, "And...?". I don't think any of us even knew what the WTC was. In our next class, Pre-Algebra (ha - yeah right), our teacher turned on CNN and we just watched that for the whole period. I don't think any of us really understood the gravity of what happened, and we were just glad to not have class (like we ever really did!). I'm kind of ashamed to admit this now, but I remember they kept showing the front of a hospital and there was an older overweight shirtless gentleman sitting in a wheelchair and me and my friends thought that was really funny. We were immature and self-centered middle-schoolers, so I guess that can count for some kind of excuse. I didn't really start to understand the seriousness until that evening, when I found out that the grandma of one of my classmates had seen what happened on the news and committed suicide because she thought the world was going to end. So that upset me because it hit a little closer to home and I started to think about all the people who had lost their loved ones. The surge of patriotism afterwards was commendable, but it's died down considerably since and I think it's sad that it takes a terrorist attack or something crazy like that to make people appreciate all of the blessings we have as citizens of the United States. It also makes me sad that September 11th gets less and less recognition every year, but I guess it is important to move on. But we shouldn't forget this tragic event, the "Pearl Harbor" of our generation.

In remembrance, I decided to donate blood today. I was kind of excited because they gave me a medium shirt that looks normal, because they usually give you an XL with some ugly design on it. Anyways I'm not trying to sound like a redneck (although I personally don't think there's anything wrong with being one) but I am proud to be an American. I found a video for one of my favorite songs ever for your viewing pleasure - "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?" by Alan Jackson. You might want a Kleenex nearby......


4 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

It was good to listen to that today. It is important that we never take our freedom for granted. We should also be grateful for those who serve and have died for our country.

Mary Lampros said...

Thanks, Sarah. I almost didn't notice the date today. Jakey and I watched it together and I cried. He kept saying, "smoke, airplane, fire, hot."

Erin said...

Sarah, that is awesome that you donated blood today. Good for you.

I remember my American History teacher told us that we should ask our parents what they were doing when they heard about JFK. And this is certainly the equivalent in our generation.

I was in the Jewish section of Krakow with my friend Matt (who is Jewish). We were in a bookstore when a girl told us that she had heard on the radio that the WTC had been hit by a plane and collapsed. We were incredulous and figured she had mixed up her English or something. Matt had just flown out of NY the day before and had seen the towers. We went and found Nathan and went to a TV store to watch the news. I remember just standing there completely dumbfounded. Matt was just shaking his head saying, it had to be Osama bin Laden. We were lucky that we happened to have cable installed that day and stayed glued to the TV. There were flowers all over the embassy and it was neat to see the outpouring of compassion.

grammawood said...

Sarah,
I'm proud of you for donating blood in honor of 9/11. And I'm glad you haven't forgotten. I was about the same age you were when the towers fell when JFK was shot. I remember being very sad, even though my parents had voted for Nixon, and walking home from school early because they let us out, and thinking how sad it was for his family, especially his little children.
I don't want to forget 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, but I must say that this Sept 11th I was thinking more of the people in Cuba and Haiti and worried for those in Texas and Louisiana.
The important thing is to remember others and help them with their trials, and I am glad that is just what you did.