Wednesday, September 10, 2008

pre-party

The hurricane pre-party officially began on Sunday (8/31) afternoon. Loren and Jiffy had gone home to Natchitoches and Erica's mom (Ms. Cindy), stepdad (Mr. Rick), and little brother (Eli, age 13) 'evacuated' from Destrehan, a suburb of New Orleans, to our apartment. They brought their two cats, Pebbles and Bam-Bam (pictured below), as well. I've never been a fan of cats so I kept my bedroom door shut at all times to keep them out. But somehow, I would go in my room and hear Pebbles meowing from under my bed - what the heck! So I would throw her out and she would sit at my door for ten minutes meowing. Talk about annoying!Anyways we had a big supper thanks to Ms. Cindy and we were joined by Adam, his roommate JJ, and Brittany, JJ's girlfriend. I tried to teach everyone how to play Mao, but Adam thought it was funny to continually break some of the main rules and it just got really frustrating so we quit. Then Erica taught us how to play Mexican Train, a dominoes game, which was really fun. We were all pretty goofy by then so we started watching 'Spaceballs', quite possibly the most retarded movie ever made. I think we all fell asleep about halfway through. I was the first one up at about 8 the next morning. Right after I finished cooking some breakfast our power went out and everyone else got up. I felt kind of bad that I was the only one with hot breakfast, but oh well, the early bird gets the worm. Fortunately the power came back on about an hour later, so we started playing Guitar Hero. If you've lived under a rock for the past couple of years, Guitar Hero is a video game where you play rock songs on a guitar hooked up to your gaming console. You hold down the colored keys on the neck while you strum whatever notes the game tells you to. This is probably the only video game I have ever really liked. You can play by yourself or if you have two guitars (Eli does) you can duel each other and see who gets the most points. My favorite songs to play are Guns'N'Roses' "Sweet Child of Mine" and Kansas' "Carry on Wayward Son".Pictured above is the guitar you use for the game, JJ and Eli finishing up a song, and my idea of 'stocking up' for the storm - all of my favorite snacks! Anyways, it started storming outside and then the power went out again around 11:30 am....and the real party began......

5 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

Was it Pebbles or Bam Bam that got lost? Did they ever find her?

Sarah said...

Pebbles is still missing. Ms. Cindy is offering a $200 reward to whoever finds her!

Erin said...

Is being able to actually play the guitar and advantage in that game? Does it help you learn the guitar? It seems like with Wii the skills don't really correspond.

Sarah said...

since i can't really play the guitar, i don't know if it's an advantage or not. i know being able to stretch your fingers helps. but, no, it doesn't really teach you how to play the guitar. like with the wii, i guess it's all about coordination.

grammawood said...

And I wonder why you didn't want to come home? My idea of stocking up was making wheat bread, granola, and making sure I had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. And don't forget those bottles of water in the freezer.